Do I need to have a PLC to use Factory I/O?

No, you can use a PLC simulator instead to control Factory I/O.

• Factory I/O Starter Edition includes its own PLC simulator: Control I/O. The main goal of Control I/O is to provide a brand independent tool, easy enough to be learned by anyone starting in the world of automation. With Control I/O you develop programs with function block diagrams using the most common functions available on real PLC. Learn more about Control I/O here.

• Factory I/O Siemens Edition and PLCSIM, which is included in Siemens S7-PLCSIM (TIA Portal). You can download a trial version of TIA Portal by following this link: https://support.industry.siemens.com/cs/document/109740158/simatic-step-7-(tia-portal)-v14-trial-download?dti=0&lc=en-WW

• Factory I/O MHJ Edition offers a completely integrated PLC training solution for users looking for a low-cost alternative to official Siemens software. MHJ Edition allows you to do ladder logic drawings. WinSPS-S7 or WinPLC-Engine sold separately.

• Factory I/O Modbus & OPC Edition allows you to integrate Factory I/O with a wide range of technologies using Modbus TCP/IP and OPC Client Data Access. As an example, we have a tutorial showing how to use CodeSys SoftPLC to control a Factory I/O scene here. Also, you will find a tutorial on how to use Unity Pro Soft PLC through Modbus TCP/IP to control the Sorting by Height (Advanced) scene here.