Is possible to use Factory I/O for a classroom as virtual laboratory?

To Whom it may concern,
I’m a computer engineer student of uninettuno university, and my university is going to make a virtual laboratory project when students can test and improve their abilities with simulator like this.
So, is there a way to make it possible ( possibly not using a Client-Server interface and using a web interface to use it ) ? if yes, what kind of edition is suggested? How we can make virtual laboratory with this software and what we need to know to set it as virtual laboratory?
Thanks for your help,
Best regards,
Lorenzo Cattaneo

@l.cattaneo1 Welcome to the forum. How do you intend to use it, remotely or locally?

Thanks a lot. We intended to use it remotely, possibily with web interface.

Factory I/O is a desktop application and cannot run directly on a web browser. Although today it’s possible to run 3D applications on a browser, there are some security challenges that are hard to overcome. For example, running drivers on a browser as we do in Factory I/O will not work due to security constraints.

However, some users resort to virtualization services in order to run Factory I/O together with PLC programming software (TIA Portal, Logix5000, …) remotely. As one possible solution, I would recommend that you take a look at Amazon AppStream 2.0.

Thanks for replies, I have two question about what you written me.

1. If we will choose amazon appstream option, we need to use external PLC however, or we can just use Factory I/O integrated PLCSIM??
  2. We could use PLC Simulator as you write me,but, are there low cost PLC simulator? Because I see Siemens and Logix, but there are no prices reported, so I think they are really expensive.

PS: I’m a simple student and I’m doing researching work, so I don’t know what’s the exact plan of my university, and obviously I don’t know how they want invest on this too. So my questions are targeted to know all about costs to make a cost study and to choose the better ways to make this project real.

Answering your questions:

1. Factory I/O does not include PLCSIM. It includes a driver for Siemens PLCSIM. You will have acquired a license for PLCSIM from Siemens.
  2. I believe they offer special prices for education, you will have to contact your local dealer. There is a low-cost alternative to Siemens software called WinSPS. Take a look at it here: https://factoryio.com/mhj-edition

Thanks a lot for replies. I will try soon these ways.

Another one question… when I will buy a version of this software, is possible to have a stack of keys or simply to share the key with flooding license?

Yes, you can use floating licenses and easily share them. Find more information here: Licensing

There is also the option of using the built-in Controlio Programming environment. Used correctly, I feel the language is another educational opportunity to take advantage of. I provided an example, including all the files, in the project sharing section of this forum. Controlio Example